From: "Andreas Prieß" <ap@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user-de@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user-de] Re: OT: Policy für Gentoo Configs, jedesmal was anderes
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 22:37:10
1 Arnold Krille wrote:
2 > Und warum ist eigentlich php5 aus dem portage wieder raus???
3
4 Das ist eine Ähnliche Situation wie beim Apache: das wird noch
5 grundlegender umgestaltet. PHP5 ist nicht 'raus, es ist umgezogen von
6 dev-php/php nach dev-lang/php.
7
8 Wurde aber auch schon dokumentiert und in einem Newsletter erläutert.
9 Ist ärgerlich weil man arbeit hat, danach aber ist es toll :-)
10
11 http://www.gentoo.org/news/en/gwn/20050905-newsletter.xml
12
13 Und auf der Server-Liste wurde es folgendermaßen erläutert, ich denke
14 das kann man einfach mal komplett zitieren:
15
16 Stuart Herbert <stuart@g.o>:
17
18 > Hi,
19 >
20 > I regularly get requests for news about PHP5 support on Gentoo. I've
21 > been posting news regularly in my blog [5], but it's clear that many
22 > Gentoo users still aren't aware about what we're doing.
23 >
24 > I hope this email answers some of the common questions.
25 >
26 > We're working to provide support for both PHP4 and PHP5 running on the
27 > same box. At the moment, this work is available in a tarball overlay
28 > [1], along with a number of supporting eselect modules [2],[3],[4]. The
29 > overlay contains new dev-lang/php packages, and PHP extensions under
30 > dev-php4/ and dev-php5 categories.
31 >
32 > The new dev-lang/php package in the overlay replaces dev-php/php,
33 > dev-php/php-cgi, and dev-php/mod_php. The overlay uses a single package
34 > to deliver all three SAPIs. The package is SLOTed, allowing PHP4 and
35 > PHP5 to be installed on the same box at the same time.
36 >
37 > The new dev-lang/php package provides two virtuals:
38 >
39 > * virtual/php - means that the php CLI SAPI is installed
40 > * virtual/httpd-php - means that php-cgi or mod_php is installed
41 >
42 > There are packages in Portage which currently (R)DEPEND on dev-php/php
43 > or dev-php/mod_php. When this overlay has been added to Portage, we'll
44 > need to fix all of these packages to (R)DEPEND on the virtuals instead.
45 >
46 > In the overlay, PHP extensions move from dev-php into dev-php4/ and
47 > dev-php5 categories. Install packages from dev-php4/ if you want to use
48 > them for PHP4, and from dev-php5/ if you want to use them for PHP5. The
49 > category names are provisional; we may go with php4-ext and php5-ext
50 > when we add all of this stuff into the Portage tree.
51 >
52 > We're part-way through adding all the extensions to the overlay.
53 >
54 > The dev-lang/php package installs into /usr/lib/php[45]/, and does not
55 > install the php or php-cgi binaries into /usr/bin. We've written three
56 > modules for eselect, which you can use to make /usr/bin/php et al
57 > symlink either to PHP4 or PHP5 as you wish. The symlinks are not needed
58 > by any of the packages in the overlay.
59 >
60 > PEAR support is next on the list. We will make the overlay work with
61 > the existing dev-php/PEAR-* packages in Portage. dev-php/PEAR-PEAR will
62 > install the 'pear' command; it won't be installed by dev-lang/php (we'll
63 > make dev-lang/php RDEPEND on dev-php/PEAR-PEAR so that pear continues to
64 > be installed by default).
65 >
66 > After that, we have a lot of testing to do, some documentation to write,
67 > and we need to decide on the best way to add these packages into Portage
68 > to replace the existing PHP packages. Nothing has been decided yet, but
69 > it would make sense for the dev-php/php-4* packages and the new
70 > dev-lang/php package to both exist as stable packages for a transitional
71 > period, whilst the masked dev-php/php-5* packages would be dropped in
72 > favour of the dev-lang/php package.
73 >
74 > Once the packages are in the Portage tree, it will take a bit of time to
75 > mark them stable. We hope to have x86 and ppc stable a month or so
76 > after the release of php-5.1.0, but that is an aspiration, not a
77 > commitment.
78 >
79 > To keep up to date with the latest news on this work, follow my blog
80 > postings [5]. The best way to provide feedback is to pop into
81 > #gentoo-apache on irc.freenode.org.
82 >
83 > PLEASE DO NOT FILE BUGS IN BUGZILLA ABOUT THE PACKAGES IN THE OVERLAY.
84 >
85 > [1] http://dev.gentoo.org/~stuart/php/php-overlay.tar.gz
86 > [2] http://dev.gentoo.org/~stuart/php/php.eselect
87 > [3] http://dev.gentoo.org/~stuart/php/php-cgi.eselect