From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] OT: A netbios-ssn blocking rule?
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 20:05:59
1 Hello,
2
3 My iptables based firewall seem to be working, However, I keep getting
4 triplets of this activity:
5
6 Problem (2286 > netbios-ssn)
7 source dest. proto info
8 curious.ip www.me.com tcp 2286 > netbios-ssn Seq=0 Len=0 MSS=1460
9 www.me.com curious.ip tcp netbios-ssn > 2286 [RST, ACK] Seq=0 Ack=1
10 Win=0 Len=0
11
12 Any ideas on a rule to drop these requests to my web server?
13
14 similarly I see the same thing except the info section is slightly
15 different:
16 similar problem (2469 > microsoft-ds)
17 rouge.ip www.me.com tcp 2469 > microsoft-ds Seq=0 Len=0 MSS=1460
18
19 and the response from my firewall is simialr
20 www.me.com rouge.ip tcp microsoft-ds > 2469 [RST, ACK] Seq=0 Ack=1
21 Win=0 Len=0
22
23 Other problems are (info section is only difference) epmap > 3081
24 3081 > epmap
25
26 Each of these appear in tripplets... and seem useless. Are they
27 part of something stupidly done by microsoft? I think not
28 because they occur quite frequently, almost systematcially,
29 leading me to suspect they are part of nefarious activities?
30
31 The only change is the port numbers (2286; 2469; 3081) and the
32 source IP address change after each triplet of queries.
33
34 Any ideas, information and iptables rules to silently drop these
35 queries are most welcome. I see them all day long.
38 James
44 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list