From: sdoma <sdoma@××××××××.cz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Gentoo 2006.0 and udev
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 09:18:00
1 Hi again,
2
3 As the handbook mentioned udev is default for Gentoo now.
4
5 I have 1479 devices and directories in /dev after startup Hmmm, wasn't
6 udev (and formerly devfs) meant to have only the devices needed?
7
8 Is hotplug still an issue or is it started by bootmisc? If i plug in my
9 USB stick (yes, I do have USB UHCI, EHCI, OHCI mass storage compiled
10 into the kernel) I can't mount it.
11
12 I remember some discussion about hotplug/coldplug and if coldplug makes
13 sense at all.
14
15 On the ~x86 installation based on 2005.0 there was no node in /dev for
16 sd*. If I plugged in the stick sda and sda1 came up and I could mount
17 sda1.
18
19 My questions:
20 Is the Gentoo UDEEV guide still valid for 2006.0?
21 How do I get rid of all these unneeded device nodes in /dev?
22 How do I ensure that devices plugged in while the system is up and
23 running arise (Emerging hotplug and add it to the default runlevel,
24 right?)?
25
26 Thanks in advance
27 Frank