From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Alternatives to knutclient
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2017 23:30:08
1 On Tue, 31 Oct 2017 17:33:53 +0000
2 Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3
4 > In the UK at least also, we have ring mains. These are rated at 30 Amps,
5 > from which you can take a 13 Amp feed from any socket. Once you start
6 > taking power over multiple leads the wiring has more resistance, plugs
7 > introduce resistance, etc, and the voltage can drop rapidly.
8
9 I've never seen that, nor heard of it. It sounds like a major fire risk too,
10 which the wiring regs would never countenance.
11
12 > (It is mandatory, according to code, if you hard-wire a feed off a ring
13 > you must separate it with a 16 Amp fuse.)
14
15 I don't recognise that either. It sounds like a special case to me. And
16 where do I buy a 16A fuse?
17
18 > I've never seen one, but I would have thought a motor/generator pair
19 > with a hefty flywheel would provide very good surge/spike/whatever
20 > protection, and provide nice clean power. Plus, it would be unlikely to
21 > burn out if you had to provide protection from several big consecutive
22 > shocks, like a lightning strike.
23
24 Just think of the noise though, and the expense.
27 Regards,
28 Peter.