From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Rooted/compromised Gentoo, seeking advice
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 20:05:55
1 On Thursday 12 August 2010 15:01:12 Stroller wrote:
2 > On 11 Aug 2010, at 21:30, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 > > ...
4 > > My users pick their own passwords - I present a list of 5 from apg
5 > > and let
6 > > them pick one
7 >
8 > apg's results seem awfully unmemorable by default.
9 >
10 > I tend to prefer random password generators that create pronounceable
11 > nonsense words, by stringing together random syllables, rather that
12 > just letters.
13 >
14 > Do you know if apg can do that? I'm sure it's in the manpage, so
15 > forgive me for not parsing it at this time of the morning.
16
17 Yes, it can do that. It's for that reason I use it.
18
19 The command I use is:
20
21 $ apg -m8 -x8 -MCNL
22 Badnack9
23 VeOsFid5
24 JucWeac9
25 EowtUzt1
26 SceybEf8
27 ByejCys1
28
29 passwords are 8 chars simply because some elements of the environment have
30 that limitation. As you can see, the passwords tend to be pronounceable. And
31 many, many tests run have convinced me that the passwords have sufficient
32 entropy to be good enough - good enough being defined as "john the ripper
33 didn't brute force it in 48 hours"
38 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com