From: Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mobo replaced; eth0 fails
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2011 13:45:32
1 On Sat, Nov 12 2011, Albert W. Hopkins wrote:
2
3 > On Fri, 2011-11-11 at 21:41 -0500, Allan Gottlieb wrote:
4 >> 3. Some advised blowing away .../persistent-net.rules.
5 >> I chose to modify it so that the new device is now eth0 and the
6 >> old
7 >> device is gone.
8 >
9 > Removing it does the same thing. The device file is re-created with the
10 > currently probed hardware and indexes start from 0. It's just that most
11 > people prefer to just remove it because it's less typing and less prone
12 > to errors.
13
14 I was worried that then eth0 might be wireless and eth1 wired,
15 but I should have tried it and only changed names if the switch
16 happened.
17
18 thanks,
19 allan