From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] re: nVidia GeForce 210 and nvidia-drivers-334.21-r3
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2014 14:07:19
1 On 04/16/2014 09:14 AM, Alexander Kapshuk wrote:
2 >
3 > The new driver's been running OK so far.
4 > Playing videos via vlc/mplayer seems to run smooth.
5 > Some youtube videos are a bit choppy, and/or delayed though. Not sure if
6 > it's the nouveau driver to blame or the fact that I've got 1 Gb of RAM
7 > onboard.
8
9 It may be from the RAM/CPU if the video is high-resolution. Nouveau
10 still has to do a lot of things in software that the proprietary driver
11 does in hardware. If sys-process/htop shows 100% CPU or RAM usage,
12 that's probably it. To rule out the network you can try net-misc/youtube-dl.
15 > Should I have enabled the nouveau USE flag globally in make.conf like I
16 > previously did for nvidia, or is that not necessary?
17
18 Not necessary (there's no nouveau USE flags at the moment).