From: Andrew Lowe <agl@×××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] KDE won't start up....
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2012 17:06:22
1 Hi all,
2 I had a running KDE 4 setup and this afternoon did an:
3
4 emerge -NuD world
5
6 There were no errors reported, the kernel source had been updated, so I
7 compiled the new kernel, and copied it into place, recompiled my nvidia
8 driver and also evdev drivers and then rebooted the machine. Now, the
9 machine boots up, I get all the usual booting messages, starting ntp,
10 mounting drives, getting IP addresses, exporting nfs and so on, the
11 screen goes black, the hour glass of the KDE log in screen briefly
12 appears then the screen is blanked and I'm back at a text login.
13
14 I've logged into the machine from the text login and recompiled the
15 kernel, copied it into place, recompiled nvidia and evdev and still the
16 problem persists. I've looked at the xorg & kdm logs and there are a
17 few errors there that google searches seem to say are OK. The thing that
18 is confusing is that when at the text prompt, I can start up bog
19 standard X via "startx" and the mouse and keyboard work but I can't get
20 KDE to start. Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be causing
21 this problem? Any thoughts on where, besides the two obvious logs, that
22 I can try and track down what's going wrong here, or steps I can take to
23 debug the KDE startup?
24
25 Any thoughts greatly appreciated,
26