From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: reiserfsprogs
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 02:22:28
1 Neil Bothwick <neil <at> digimed.co.uk> writes:
4 > > I set xdm to auto start upon reboot (rc-update), and I'm not
5 > > sure what file I can edit ( or what else I can do from a minimalCD
6 > > boot) to stop this process set to autostart during the boot process?
7
8 > rc-update del xdm
9
10 You maean after:
11
12 mount file systems
13 chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash
14 env-update
15 <then> rc-update del xdm
16
17 This worked...
18
19 Now to fix the xorg.conf file.....
20
21 I cannot seem to use any of the tools
22 listed here: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/list.xml
23 ( Xorg -configure xorgconfig etc)
24 to generate a working file. So I booted up the
25 livecd and copied that xorg.conf file to another
26 system later on for use. it works, but the screen
27 resolution is 1024x768. The system, an HP DV9000Z
28 laptop (GD545AV) is suppose to have a 17 screen with
29 1680x1050 resolution. Every time I try this resolution
30 the system hangs, hard and has to be power cycled to recover.
31 I also cannot find the hortz&&vert ranges. From the install I have:
32
33 HorizSync 28.0 - 96.0
34 VertRefresh 50.0 - 75.0
35
36 Another source of the problem could be all of those
37 fonts, in the xorg.conf file that I may not have installed.
38
39 Another potential source failure in getting xorg.conf
40 stable is dri and glx.
41 Different gentoo web pages tell me different things on using
42 these with the nvidia driver. They all still talk about
43 agp device drivers in the kernel.
44
45 Also, there use to be a guide one could follow to get xorg.conf
46 working by testing it as a user logged in on console. every time
47 I try that, the entire system hoses up... It's been a while since
48 I had to use the minimal CD (2004.3) so I'm rusty and the docs
49 have changed/disappeared. It should be easy, but, I'm having
50 a helluva a time getting x/kde stable.
51
52 Any ideas or wikis I can follow?
55 James
64 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list