From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] tips on running a mail server in a cheap vps provider run but not-so-trusty admins?
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2020 21:08:16
1 james wrote:
2 > On 8/21/20 4:10 PM, Grant Taylor wrote:
3 >> On 8/21/20 11:01 AM, Caveman Al Toraboran wrote:
4 >>> yes, i do consider re-inventing octagonal wheels.
5 >>
6 >> I think that it's occasionally a good thing to have a thought
7 >> experiment about how $THING might be made better.
8 >>
9 >> It's probably good to have discussions around green feel types of
10 >> replacements.
11 >>
12 >> But it's important to eventually assess the pros and cons of the old
13 >> (as it exists), the new (as from green field), and the transition
14 >> between the two.
15 >>
16 >> Sometimes the new doesn't warrant the transition, but it does provide
17 >> an option that might be worth augmenting into the old.
18 >>
19 >> If nothing else, it's good to have the discussions and be able to
20 >> answer why something was done or chosen to remain the same.
21 >>
22 >>> here, i'm just "asking" to see what makes the "safely stored"
23 >>> guarantee.
24 >>
25 >> MTAs are supposed to be written such that they commit the message to
26 >> persistent storage medium (disk) before returning an OK message to
27 >> the sending server.
28 >>
29 >> There is some nebulous area around what that actually means.� But
30 >> the idea is that the receiving server believes, in good faith, that
31 >> it has committed the message to persistent storage.� Usually this
32 >> involves writing the message to disk, probably via a buffered
33 >> channel, and then issued system calls to ask the OS to flush the
34 >> buffer to disk.
35 >>
36 >> Is there room for error?� Probably.
37 >>
38 >> Had the server made (more than) reasonable effort to commit the
39 >> message to disk?� Yes.
40 >>
41 >> The point being, don't acknowledge receipt of the message while the
42 >> message is only in the MTA's memory buffer.� Take some steps to
43 >> commit it to persistent storage.
44 >>
45 >> That being said, there are some questionable servers / configurations
46 >> that will bypass this safety step in the name of performance.� And
47 >> they /do/ /loose/ /email/ as a negative side effect if (when) they do
48 >> crash. This is a non-default behavior that has been explicitly chosen
49 >> by the administrators to violate the SMTP specification.� Some MTAs
50 >> will log a warning that they are configured to violate RFCs.
51 >>
52 >>> got any specific definition of what makes a storage "guaranteed"?
53 >>> e.g. what kind of tests does the mail server do in order to say
54 >>> "yup, i can now guarantee this is stored safely!"?
55 >>
56 >> It's more that they do something safe (write the message to disk)
57 >> instead of risky (only store it in memory).
58 >>
59 >> Everything can fail at some point.� It's a matter of what and how
60 >> many reasonable steps did you take to be safe.� Read: Don't cut
61 >> corners and do something risky.
62 >>
63 >>> i guess you think that i meant that a relay should be mandatory?
64 >>
65 >> Sending / outbound SMTP servers /are/ a relay for any messages not
66 >> destined to the local server.
67 >>
68 >> There is almost always at least two SMTP servers involved in any
69 >> given email delivery.� All but the final receiving system is a relay.
70 >>
71 >>> (yes, a relay doesn't have to be used.� i'm just describing some
72 >>> uses of relays that i think make sense.� (1) indicate trust
73 >>> hierarchy, (2) offload mail delivery so that i can close my laptop
74 >>> and let the relay have fun with the retries.� not sure there is
75 >>> any other use.� anyone?)
76 >>
77 >> There are many uses for email relays.� A common one, and best
78 >> practice, is to have an /inbound/ relay, commonly known as a backup
79 >> email server. The idea being it can receive inbound messages while
80 >> the primary email server is down (presumably for maintenance).
81 >>
82 >> Many SaaS Email Service Providers (ESPs) /are/ relay servers.� They
83 >> receive email from someone and send it to someone else.
84 >>
85 >> A number of email hygiene appliances function as an email relay
86 >> between the world and your ultimate internal email server.�
87 >> Services that filter inbound email qualify here too.
88 >>
89 >> It is common, and I think it's best practice, to have web
90 >> applications send email via localhost, which is usually a relay to a
91 >> more capable hub email server which sends outbound email.� Both of
92 >> these layers are relays.
93 >>
94 >> A relay is the same thing for email that a router is for a network.
95 >
96 > WOW do I love these discussions, but let me 'cut to the chase'.
97 >
98 > I'm proposing, via a small corp I own, to purchase up to (3) dual
99 > Rasp.pi 4 setups of (2) R.Pi.4 8gig ram setups
100 > and send them to the devs WE all decide on. Let's us start compiling
101 > up the codes, keep it simple (for now) and implement them with
102 > gentoo-users as the testers of the email services.
105 > These discussions should be continued to everyone's benefit. However
106 > there are way more than (3) folks on these threads who are most
107 > capable to do this community prototyping. If WE do not act and get
108 > hundreds of these deployed, email, as we know it via RFCS and other
109 > standards may just disappeaar, or be relegated to the far reaches of
110 > the Internet. What I have read, is standards based email services,
111 > particularly by small organizations, are under extreme pressure by
112 > large corporations to be marginalized out of existence.
113 >
114 > So any of the folks in these treads can announce publically, or send
115 > me private email as to your concerns. Public is best, but, I
116 > understand the needs for private communications sometimes. So yea,
117 > I'll personally finaces, at least 6 months of (3) projects.
118 > I'll take all input, but will make my (funding) decision, in a focus,
119 > quick strategy.
120 >
121 > James Horton, pe
122
123 I wouldn't be able to right now, just bought a new mattress set,
124 mattress topper and other bed type stuff, but once I get that behind me,
125 I'd be happy to buy at least one myself and compile stuff on it for
126 testing.  I'm not a coder by any stretch of the imagination.  Heck, my
127 scripts are not likely considered that by most here.  I'm just not sure
128 what else to call them.  If I ever got bored, ran out of time or
129 whatever, I could send the thing to a dev that is in the USA and easy to
130 ship to, and let them play with it for a while.  Only downside, my
131 internet isn't dial-up but it's only a couple steps above it.  Data
132 transfer, especially going upstream, would be slow.  Still, download,
133 compile and send results shouldn't be to bad.
134
135 This reminds me of that group that detects lightening.  You buy this
136 box, hook it to the internet and it detects lightening and sends the
137 data back to their server.  Then people can visit the website to see
138 where the lightening is, globally at that.  Thing is, getting the box
139 was difficult.  I wanted to buy the kit and assemble it myself since
140 I've done that sort of thing before.  They cost about $300 I think.
141 Somewhere around there.  I never did get a email that I was up on the
142 list to buy one.  It was pricey but at the time there was no box even
143 close to me.  There was sort of a hole in my area.  Once hooked up, just
144 keep it powered up and it requires nothing but making sure the green
145 light is on every once in a while.  I would like to have been able to do
146 that.  The data part would work even on dial-up.  Data amounts were tiny.
147
148 Thing about this deal, it could lead to a lot of things and benefit
149 Gentoo.  Who knows what someone may come up with.  From what I've read,
150 those little things have some get up and go to them especially for their
151 size.  Whether running email type software or something else, I'm sure
152 any help would be accepted.  Didn't someone have a guitar running Gentoo
153 once??  I never did quite figure that one out.  Why does a guitar need a
154 computer?? :/
155
156 I suspect that there would be a few devs willing to accept the help,
157 whether donating a Pi thingy or just getting testing from someone who
158 has one.  I can't imagine them saying no.  o_O
159
160 Dale
161
163
164 P. S.  My mattress is having issues.  A couple springs are trying to
165 escape.  I put it off as long as I could.  :-(