From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Recompile Gentoo Environemnet
Date: Sat, 05 Sep 2009 10:57:33
1 On Saturday 05 September 2009 03:29:46 Nick Khamis wrote:
2 > Hello Everyone,
3 >
4 > what emerge parameters recompiles everything in my gentoo environment afer
5 > changing use flags
6 >
7 > emerge --update --deep --*newuse* world?
8 >
9 > I issued a
10 >
11 > emerge -e world
14 > and I saw it was installing 450 things so I ctrl+c the process, did I
15 > kill everything.
16 >
17 > Anyhow I would like to recompile everything existing in the
18 > environment in the safest manner.
21 You almost always want
22
23 emerge -avuND world
24
25 Which will find every relevant change you made and deal with it.
26
27 Don't forget
28
29 emerge -av @preserved-rebuild with recent portage versions
30 revdep-rebuild -p -i followed by
31 revdep-rebuild to find broken stuff and finally
32 emerge -a --depclean to clean out obsolete stuff that's hanging around
33
34 Don't run these blindly. Eyeball the output, understand what you are looking
35 at.
38 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com