From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: DVD Movie backups
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2011 13:05:37
1 On Sun, 18 Dec 2011 10:49:34 +0100, David Haller wrote:
2
3 > >You also don't have the hardware to create them. CSS keys are stored
4 > >on a separate area of the disc, an area that is not available on
5 > >DVD-Rs, which is why you cannot copy a CSS-encrypted DVD with dd, it
6 > >copies the encrypted data but not the decryption keys.
7 >
8 > Sure they can be read and copied with ddrescue. On some disks at
9 > least. This one, I copied with ddrescue:
10 >
11 > $ xine dvd://${PWD}/some_rather_recent_dvd.iso
12 > This is xine (X11 gui) - a free video player v0.99.6.
13 > (c) 2000-2007 The xine Team.
14 > libdvdread: Using libdvdcss version 1.2.11 for DVD access
15 > libdvdcss error: failed to open raw device, but continuing
16 >
17 > libdvdread: Attempting to retrieve all CSS keys
18 > libdvdread: This can take a _long_ time, please be patient
19 >
20 > libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.VOB at 0x00000130
21 > libdvdread: Elapsed time 0
22 > [..]
23 >
24 > and the xine plays the .iso as usual. On the other paw, there's other
25 > discs where 'ddrescue' just causes those "scrambled sector" messages,
26 > but the images made with k3b works just fine:
27
28 I didn't say you can't read then, I said you can't write them, because
29 the key storage area is not writeable on DVD-R discs.
30
31 Yes, Joerg, I know people with your connections can get special discs and
32 drives, but for standard consumer hardware and media, what I said was
33 true.
37 Neil Bothwick
38
39 We shall shortly be landing. Please return your stewardess to
40 the upright position.