From: "Jonathan Callen (ABCD)" <abcd@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: udev and init.d. Should it be running now?
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 22:05:32
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 Dale wrote:
5 > Hi folks,
6 >
7 > I was browsing around and noticed that I now have a udev in
8 > /etc/init.d/. I checked, it is not running but udevd is not running
9 > either. See below:
10 >
11 >> root@smoker / # /etc/init.d/udev status
12 >> * status: stopped
13 >> root@smoker / #
14 >> root@smoker / # ps aux | grep udev
15 >> root 30451 0.0 0.0 1888 504 pts/0 R+ 16:04 0:00 grep
16 >> --colour=auto udev
17 >> root@smoker / #
18 >
19 > This is the baselayout that is installed:
20 >
21 >> [I--] [ ] sys-apps/baselayout-1.12.11.1
22 >
23 > I seem to recall that baselayout 2 is going to be a service thing but
24 > since I am on baselayout 1, should this be running? It seems to belong
25 > to the udev package tho according to this:
26 >
27 >> root@smoker / # equery belongs /etc/init.d/udev
28 >> [ Searching for file(s) /etc/init.d/udev in *... ]
29 >> sys-fs/udev-141 (/etc/init.d/udev)
30 >> root@smoker / #
31 >
32 > You can see from that what udev version is installed too. I also
33 > checked the elogs and I see no mention of it being changed to a service
34 > or that it needs to be added to a runlevel.
35 >
36 > Also, keep in mind, everything works fine. I just don't want to add it
37 > to boot or default runlevels and then break something.
38 >
39 > Thanks for any advice. I searched the forums and udev on g.o but didn't
40 > see anything relevant.
41 >
42 > Dale
43 >
44 > :-) :-)
48 In baselayout-1, udev is started directly by baselayout itself, outside
49 of any init scripts. In baselayout-2/openrc, an initscript is needed to
50 start udev. If you actually read the script, you may notice that the
51 script will immediately fail if you attempt to run it on a baselayout-1
52 system, as it isn't needed. If/when you upgrade to baselayout-2/openrc,
53 it will automatically be added to the boot runlevel, but only if
54 baselayout-1 had been previously installed.
55
56 In short, don't worry about it. :)
57
58 (this didn't appear to send the first time, so resending...)
59 - --
60 Jonathan Callen (ABCD)