From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Microcode update AMD
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 19:14:39
1 On Monday 17 January 2011 10:48:36 Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 10:10 AM, BRM <bm_witness@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > ----- Original Message ----
4 > >
5 > >> I have two questions:
6 > >>
7 > >> 1) Do I have to enable microcode updates in the BIOS of my Crosshair
8 > >> IV Formula to activate microcodes push in the CPU by the module
9 > >> "microcode" ? (AMD Phenom X6 1090T)
10 > >
11 > > Not sure about BIOS, but the Linux Kernel you are running will certainly
12 > > need support enabled too.
13 > >
14 > >> 2) Does anyone know, what these microcodes do? They are fixes for...
15 > >> ...what?
16 > >
17 > > The Intel and AMD processors are more abstract than physical now. With
18 > > i486 and earlier the processors were typically hard wired; hardware
19 > > "bug" fixes could not be pushed out.
20 > > Intel's Pentium (and I don't know which AMD) started using micro-code to
21 > > program the processor. This enabled them to push out "hardware" bug
22 > > fixes for the processors.
23 > >
24 > > So what happens is the x86 instruction (e.g. mov ax, bx) gets translated
25 > > to micro-code first, then it gets processed, and the result translated
26 > > back to the expected instruction result - essentially, emulating the
27 > > x86 instruction set in the processor. That's the simple version.
28 > >
29 > > So now when they discover a bug in the hardware they can push out a
30 > > micro-code update to either fix the "hardware" (microcode) bug or work
31 > > around a hardware (physical hardware) bug.
32 > >
33 > > Ben
34 >
35 > Ben,
36 > Do you know how security on these updates is handled? Seems to me
37 > this is an area rife for exploitation so I've been very hesitant to
38 > use them until I understood more.
39
40 you can not not use them because alsmost all bios load the microcode
41 automatically.