From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mutt configuration advice
Date: Mon, 27 May 2013 17:05:28
1 On 27/05/2013 18:55, Mick wrote:
2 > I recall you or some other Gentoo user in this list advocating setting up
3 > dovecot or some such to locally collect and store messages. This aligns with
4 > the one task per tool approach that mutt's design philosophy fulfils as a
5 > simple MUA. It has its advantages, but also has its disadvantages. It
6 > requires me to do back ups, instead of relying on Google. It requires me to
7 > run a separate server (if I were to run this on my LAN, as opposed to my
8 > lap/desktop) and pay for it, instead of Google's 'free' infrastructure and
9 > energy bill. One more application to configure and bother myself with, on the
10 > unexpected occasion when configuration files need editing in a rush because
11 > things no longer work since the last update.
12 >
13 > More critically, whether I run a local MRA/MTA or not, I will *still* need
14 > another mail client irrespective of where my messages are stored. This is why
15 > I kindly ask for some person who's more experienced on configuring mutt than
16 > I, to give me a hand setting it up. :-)
17
18 It could well have been me recommending a local dovecot back then (it's
19 my own solution)
20
21 Now that I have a clearer picture of how you want your mail to work, I
22 don't think I can be of much useful help - I tend to not customize mail
23 clients much :-)
24
25 I usually just use them as-shipped, add my usual filter rules if needed
26 and adapt to it's key bindings. I dunno why I do mail this way when I
27 eternally fiddle with every other kind of app out there...
28
29 Hopefully some other kind soul will chip in with better answers to what
30 you are looking for
33 Alan McKinnon
34 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com