From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Crossdev won't go away
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 11:13:19
1 On Wednesday 12 November 2008 22:25:31 Matthias Bethke wrote:
2 > Hi Peter,
3 >
4 > on Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 10:50:32AM +0000, you wrote:
5 > > I'm still having a bit of bother with crossdev. If I emerge -upDvtN
6 > > world I get this warning (omitting the N makes no difference):
7 > >
8 > > !!! The following installed packages are masked:
9 > > - cross-i686-pc-linux-gnu/linux-headers-2.6.23-r3 (masked by: ~amd64
10 > > keyword)
11 >
12 > I had a similar issue just recently when I built a crossdev environment
13 > for ARM on an amd64 system. I'm not exactly sure how it happened any
14 > more but I suppose it has to do with a later version of linux-headers
15 > being stable for the platform you want to crosscompile for than for your
16 > native one. Which isn't the case when I look now, perhaps the keywords
17 > have just been updated?
18
19 Mysterious. It isn't happening any more; updating the system is
20 straightforward once again. Searching for cross* on the whole file-system
21 turns nothing up either, so I suppose I should just be thankful that the
22 problem's gone away (pro tem, at least). I do notice though that I have a
23 new file: /etc/portage/categories, which
24 contains "cross-i686-pc-linux-gnu". (Well, it has a January date, so it
25 isn't new - I just hadn't noticed it before.) And the only linux-headers I
26 have are the standard kernel headers - nothing to do with cross-compiling.
27
28 > For me, installing crossdev with -s1 helped,
29
30 I don't know what you mean there.
31
32 > I'm only compiling for an embedded system anyway so I don't need the
33 > headers. Maybe just try again after an rsync?
34
35 I run emerge --sync most days, so I wasn't incurring penalties by running an
36 out-of-date system.
37
38 Thanks for the help anyway.
41 Rgds