From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] User & password scanning on pop3
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 01:07:42
1 Rod writes:
2
3 > Does anyone know how to block, or auto programs in Gentoo to limit
4 > or stop people scanning for a user/password hacking on your firewall?
5
6 I am using net-analyzer/fail2ban. That can block an IP after some
7 unsuccessful login attempts. This helps a lot, but not against bot nets,
8 when every host tries for two times only.
9
10 > Besides disabling those ports, I still need the port accessable
11 > from the outside, and I guess they'd just try imap if pop was blocked.
12
13 Could you change the port to something unusual, like 1100?
14
15 Wonko