From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Jitsi or Other Skype Alternative
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 14:48:22
1 On 08/20/2013 05:12 PM, Randy Westlund wrote:
2 > I've heard several people mention jitsi, but was surprised to find that it's not in the portage tree.
5 Jitsi is written in java and thus by design buggy, bloated and hard to
6 maintain.
7
8 If you care a lot, you can propose it in sunrise user overlay and I will
9 accept precompiled java packages there.
10
11 Join #gentoo-sunrise and try to avoid random overlays. They have caused
12 lots of trouble for our users in the past, because there is no one to
13 review the ebuild most of the time and there is even less protection
14 against overlays who mess with system packages and thus might break a
15 LOT of things, partly because they have no idea what they are doing and
16 partly because they have no access to profiles/ in gx86 and cannot
17 coordinate any delicate changes.