From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] virtual problem : how can I unmerge Nano ?
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2014 12:19:28
1 140429 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Tue, 29 Apr 2014 06:16:03 -0400, Philip Webb wrote:
3 PW> Yes, I can do 'emerge -C nano', but that is brute force & deprecated.
4 NB> Deprecated? Really? I must have missed that.
5 PW> * This action can remove important packages!
6 > * In order to be safer, use `emerge -pv --depclean <atom>`
7 > I'ld say that means 'deprecated' as much as anything does,
8 > ie "in order to be safer" do it in a different but recommended way.
9 NB> I wouldn't. If it was deprecated, it would say so.
10
11 'Deprecate' has 2 meanings here : (1) technical, in software circles,
12 (2) common, = 'disapprove of', 'advise against' etc.
13
14 NB> All this message says is that using -c is safer than -C,
15 > not that -C should not be used.
16 PW> The ebuild has a long list of possible editors,
17 > incl Vim Ed Nano, but nothing singling out Nano.
18 NB> Except that nano is first in the list and portage takes
19 > the first available dependency as satisfying the virtual.
20 PW> Doesn't Portage check whether any of the others are installed ?!
21 NB> Apparently not. As long as the dependency is satisfied, so is portage.
22 > Extra checking would only slow down dependency resolution even more.
23
24 Not much & it trades off against avoiding long scary output.
25
26 NB> Unmerge nano and portage will look at the rest of the list,
27 > be satisfied with vim and not try to re-emerge nano.
28 > I uninstall nano like this whenever I install a Gentoo system,
29 > as I use either Joe or Emacs.
30
31 Yes, Portage does as you describe :
32
33 root:567 ~> emerge -C nano
34 * This action can remove important packages! In order to be safer ...
35 Waiting 10 seconds before starting ...
36 All selected packages: app-editors/nano-2.3.2 ...
37 Waiting 5 seconds before starting ...
38 Unmerging (1 of 1) app-editors/nano-2.3.2 ...
39 root:568 ~> emerge -cpv vim
40 Calculating dependencies ...
41 app-editors/vim-7.4.131 pulled in by ...
42 virtual/editor-0 requires app-editors/vim
43 No packages selected for removal by depclean
44 root:569 ~>
45
46 I sometimes have the feeling Portage's behaviour is not fully thought out
47 & often that Portage advisory messages are written by Martians (grin).
51 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
52 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
53 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca