From: Joshua Doll <Joshua.Doll@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hardware upgrade and Gentoo
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 17:20:23
1 Daniel da Veiga wrote:
2 > Hello list,
3 >
4 > I just got a new box for use at work, its an Intel Core Duo 1.8, 1GB
5 > RAM, with an Intel graphic card, its a IBM Lenovo machine. My old one
6 > is an Itautec Athlon XP 1.1GHz with 512MB RAM and an Nvidia AGP
7 > graphic card.
8 >
9 > My make.conf (intersting part):
10 > CFLAGS="-mno-tls-direct-seg-refs -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer
11 > -march=athlon-xp"
12 > CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
13 > CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
14 > MAKEOPTS="-j2"
15 >
16 I'd look at what optimizations the march athlon-xp uses and compare that
17 with the march you are going to there maybe some that you want to enable
18 for the Core Duo. The CHOST shouldn't be an issue. It should be noted
19 that you won't have an 64bit support if the new CPU even supports this
20 don't remember off the top of my head. I suspect it will run without
21 issues though.
22
23 > What I want to know is, will my software, compiled with the above
24 > settings, run in the new processor?
25 >
26 > Cause if it does, I may be able to compile a generic kernel set (using
27 > genkernel) and udev should take care of most module loading, and I
28 > won't need to rebuild all my stuff. I've tested some binary packages
29 > with an old Pentium III processor, and it worked...
30 >
31 > Anyway, should I start from scratch or there's an easy way to migrate
32 > all this stuff?
35 --Joshua Doll
36 --
37 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list