From: covici@××××××××××.com
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] anyone using Lilo to dual-boot ?
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 09:50:05
1 Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net> wrote:
2
3 > My cousin in England wants to try out Linux & has an Ubuntu Live CD.
4 > To help her, I've installed the same on a separate partition in my box.
5 > The partition is /dev/sda8 & is formatted ReiserFS.
6 > I use Lilo as boot manager & don't want to change to Grub
7 > just to offer temporary help to someone,
8 > so I refused to let the Ubuntu installer overwrite my MBR,
9 > hoping to get Lilo to see Ubuntu via an appropriate 'lilo.conf'.
10 > I've managed to get Lilo to add Ubuntu to the boot menu,
11 > but only by mounting /dev/sda8 as /z/mount8 & using the line
12 >
13 > image = /z/mount8/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-21-generic
14 >
15 > However, when I reboot & select that image via its label,
16 > I'm getting the hoary old 'VFS: can't open root device "808"'.
17 > I've tried adding a dir /z/mount8 in the Ubuntu partition
18 > with a symlink of 'boot' to '../../boot' there, but it doesn't help.
19 > This does look rather messy, but I just want to be able to boot Ubuntu
20 > in order to advise my cousin when she starts using her version.
21 >
22 > Is anyone successfully dual-booting Linux distros using Lilo ?
23 > Might it be ReiserFS ? -- should I re-install Ubuntu with another FS ?
24 What I do in those cases is to copy the kernel and the initrd of the
25 Ubuntu system into your normal boot directory and just have a root=
26 directive in the append stanza and that works just fine.
30 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
31 How do
32 you spend it?
33
34 John Covici