From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] "loopback mount" hard-drive image created with dd?
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 20:37:24
1 On Friday 18 January 2008, Jerry McBride wrote:
2 > On Friday 18 January 2008 02:19:21 pm Jerry McBride wrote:
3 > > On Friday 18 January 2008 01:54:58 pm Alan McKinnon wrote:
4 > > > On Friday 18 January 2008, Jerry McBride wrote:
5 > > > > On Friday 18 January 2008 01:01:18 pm Alan McKinnon wrote:
6 > > > > > Won't work. He already said the .iso is a *disk* image, not a *file
7 > > > > > system* image.
8 > > > > >
9 > > > > > The ntfs driver (or any sane file system driver) will not know what
10 > > > > > to do with a block image complete with partition tables and boot
11 > > > > > records.
12 > > > > >
13 > > > > > alan
14 > > > >
15 > > > > I don't doubt what you wrote, but I've done exactly that many times
16 > > > > and never had a problem. Is this some kind of ntfs support issue?
17 > > > >
18 > > > > Just this morning, I ran dd to make an image of a usbstick I dearly
19 > > > > love... I just now mounted the image as vfat as stated above and I
20 > > > > have complete access to the data on it... Is the ntfs module that
21 > > > > different? Just curious.
22 > > >
23 > > > Do you have partitions on that memory stick?
24 > >
25 > > Yes.
26 >
27 > OK... It just got through my dense head! He has "multiple partitions" in
28 > his disk image, not one....
29 >
30 > What I proposed will fail in that case, but will work with "just one"
31 > partition in the image...
32 >
33 > It's a shame too.
34 >
35 > Cheers.
36
37 I have mounted through loopback USB stick images that I dd onto my hard drive,
38 but had no partition table (like a floppy sort of thing). I am thinking
39 aloud here, could the OP chainload the NTFS image using Grub -
40 notwithstanding that Vista is using a slightly different booting scheme than
41 the WinXP NTLDR.exe?
42
43 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Vista_Startup_Process
46 Regards,