From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: What is the latest version for a new install
Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2011 15:27:21
1 Harry Putnam <reader <at> newsguy.com> writes:
4 > At distfiles.gentoo.org/releases/x86
5 > I see 10.1, 11.0, 11.2
6 > Which is the latest usable?
9 I have always just burned the latest install dvd,
10 to take shopping and boot up potential computers
11 and have a spin, right in the store.
12
13 The last HP laptop I tried DV7-6178US did not boot
14 ( I even when into the bios to try to get it to boot)
15 off the dvd (11.2); so that was a new experience for
16 me.
17
18 What instructions are you using to install off of the
19 11.2 DVD? You can just boot the 11.2 dvd and run gentoo
20 from the dvd, if you like.
21
22 The handbook steps are somewhat different that installing
23 off of the 11.2 dvd. I ran across some instructions on
24 installing directly off the 11.2 dvd a while ago, but I
25 did not try it:
26
27 http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Install_LiveDVD_11.2_to_hard_disk_drive
28