From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Any newer Gentoo install CDs?
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2008 00:32:10
1 On Jan 6, 2008 4:11 PM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Sun, 6 Jan 2008 15:52:14 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
3 >
4 > > The drive is SATA. I'm not familiar with AHCI. (What? Advanced Host
5 > > controller Interface or something like that? If this is a driver that
6 > > needs to be loaded let me know and I'll try booting again and looking
7 > > around.
8 >
9 > Yep, good guess :)
10 >
11 > AFAIR, I'm on a different computer now, it was a BIOS option to enable
12 > AHCI for the SATA controllers.
15 Neil,
16 OK, I took a few minutes away from his Half Life game to look at
17 BIOS. I found the AHCI option and enabled it. Of course he wanted to
18 get back to gaming so we tried to boot back into Windows but XP goes
19 blue screen at the first disk access with AHCI enabled.
20
21 Possibly XP might work if it installed with AHCI enabled but
22 typical of Windows it doesn't like configuration changes after it's
23 installed.
24
25 Is there any other solution for this or is the only Linux support
26 going to require AHCI? It is unfortunately not reasonable or practical
27 to switch BIOS options when choosing which OS to boot. He uses a
28 special gaming keyboard that doesn't seem able to get into BIOS so
29 we're having to attach an old keyboard to do this.
30
31 Thanks,
32 Mark
33 --