From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: gio/pcmanfm sftp:// "operation not supported"
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2022 16:22:49
1 On 2022-10-26, Matt Connell <matt@×××××××.tech> wrote:
2 > On Tue, 2022-10-25 at 21:31 +0000, Grant Edwards wrote:
3 >> Google led me to several pages where the problem was not having gvfs
4 >> installed. I do have gvfs installed, but I suspect it's broken. I get
5 >> the impression that
6 >>
7 >>     $ gio list sftp://<host>/<path>
8 >>
9 >> is supposed to work, but that too says "Operation not supported".
10
11 Apparently, that error is cause by lack of a DBUS session. I just
12 happened to stumble across a posting somewhere by somebody who had the
13 same problem. How they figured out that was the problem remains a
14 mystery.
15
16 [Is there a GNOME development group dedicated to making error messages
17 as meaningless as possible? If yes, then they're doing a stellar job.]
18
19 > I don't use pcmanfm, but I do have gvfs installed. Trying to "gio list
20 > sftp://host" returns "The specified location is not mounted", so at
21 > least my behavior is different.
22
23 After launching a dbus session with
24
25 $ dbus-launch bash
26
27 And then running 'gio list' in the bash instance that is created above,
28 I get the "location is not mounted error"
29
30 A subsequent gio mount command then succeeds
31
32 $ gio mount sftp://<host>/<path>
33
34 After which the "gio list" command works as expected.
35
36 When I run pcmanfm-qt from that same bash instance, sftp URLs work.
37
38 GNOME: making life overly complicated since 1999!
41 Grant