From: ubiquitous1980 <nixuser1980@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE 4.3 Weather Forecast Applet does not find Perth (Looking for a Fix)
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 02:36:33
1 Mick wrote:
2 > On Thursday 18 February 2010 16:51:00 you wrote:
3 >
4 >> On 18 February 2010 14:21, ubiquitous1980 <nixuser1980@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> Matthias Krebs wrote:
7 >>>
8 >>>> Am Dienstag 16 Februar 2010 22:26:11 schrieb ubiquitous1980:
9 >>>>
10 >>>>> Using KDE 4.3 Weather Forecast Applet for amd64. I know BBC broke
11 >>>>> this. Anyone got a fix?
12 >>>>>
13 >>>> update to kde 4.4
14 >>>>
15 >>>>
16 >>>> bbc works again (at least for berlin)
17 >>>>
18 >>> You can use cwp (customisable weather plasmoid) from kde-look. Requires
19 >>> hand installation. Hope that helps.
20 >>>
21 >> Or you can copy the URL from the BBC RSS feed and it should work. Let
22 >> me know which location you want and I can copy it over for you to try.
25 > Open your ~/.kde4/share/config/plasma-desktop-appletsrc and add this line for
26 > your source of the weather applet:
27 >
28 > source=bbcukmet|weather|Perth, Australia|
29 > http://newsrss.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/92/ObservationsRSS.xml
30 >
31 > all on one line.
32 >
33 > Or if you prefer Perth International, then add this:
34 >
35 > source=bbcukmet|weather|Perth International, Australia|
36 > http://newsrss.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/1954/ObservationsRSS.xml
40 I can confirm that this solution works as long as you have first
41 selected another source, then changed the source to the BBC one while
42 you are not logged in to KDE4. You need the surrounding configuration
43 information similar as follows:
44
45 [Containments][1][Applets][15][Configuration]
46 pressureUnit=hPa
47 source=bbcukmet|weather|Perth,
48 Australia|http://newsrss.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/92/ObservationsRSS.xml
49 speedUnit=ms
50 temperatureUnit=C
51 updateInterval=30
52 visibilityUnit=km
53
54 Though I do not think this should be simply typed in!?
55
56 Be aware that if you are logged in, the source is saved as the last one
57 selected in the menu. If you close the applet, the source in the above
58 config file is blanked, along with the other specification data. Which
59 unless you edit the file whilst not logged into KDE4, creates a catch
60 22. You try to select BBC in menu, then edit the file, then when you
61 try to select the entry again in the plasmoid, it will not find the
62 locality. So you try then by shutting the plasmoid, but the settings
63 are gone. Therefore, use a working selection in the menu, log out of
64 KDE, settings are saved, then edit the source line in your editor such
65 as nano or vim. On next log in to KDE4, select BBC, and it now works.
66 Sorry if this is a long-winded explanation.