From: Nils Freydank <nils.freydank@××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Seamonkey/Firefox library USE flags
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2017 22:00:52
1 On Wed, Jan 18 2017, 19:13:36 CET wrote Dale:
2 > Howdy,
3 Hi!
4 > Looking to see how others do this. I noticed that some "system" stuff
5 > was disabled which I assume means Seamonkey and Firefox would then
6 > compile their own versions of those things or something. This is the
7 > ones in question:
8 >
9 > system-harfbuzz
10 > system-icu
11 > system-jpeg
12 > system-libevent
13 > system-libvpx
14 > system-sqlite
15 > system-cairo
16 >
17 > Questions. How do you set yours and why if you know why? Which one is
18 > most stable? Any other advantages to having it one way or the other.
19 > Should some be on and others off?
20
21 I prefer to use system libs because upstream bundled libs are in nearly every
22 project now and then huge security risks (i.e. quite old libraries once(!)
23 imported from another project, slightly modified, never updated)[1].
24
25 However, I had to test a bit around which system-* flags don’t crash and
26 currently my setup contains firefox-50.0.1-r1::gentoo with
27
28 “system-harfbuzz system-icu system-jpeg system-libvpx system-sqlite“
29
30 and the rest needs to be used from bundled setups — at least that was the
31 state at firefox-49 and I didn’t really test more system-libs since then.
32 My system is ~amd64 on Haswell i5, SELinux no-multilib profile and systemd,
33 gcc-5.4.0-r2-hardened as compiler.
34
35 [1] Fun fact: spidermonkey seems to be the one anti example: bundled in 0ad is
36 always major versions ahead of what is on the mozilla overlay(sic!). These
37 poor guys need definetly assistance! :)
38
39 > Thanks.
40 Hope that helps,
41 Nils
42
47 Nils Freydank
48 GnuPG-Key: 0x44594171807206CF @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net
49 fpr: AA2D 5CC0 0457 297F 6164 3911 4459 4171 8072 06CF