From: Dale <dalek1967@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] kernel 2.6.25-r6 oddities; is this kernel really ready for stable?
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 17:10:33
1 Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
2 > I run gentoo x86 stable, so that I usually avoid this sort of thing.
3 >
4 > This kernel, however, looks balky to me, because it's reporting
5 > warnings and other oddities during compilation. I don't like warnings
6 > at any time, and with the kernel's make wrappers cleaning up the
7 > output they tend to stand out.
8 >
9 > Here's what I get:
10 > -- various type/attribute warnings
11 > -- reports of deprecated elements
12 > -- a report of "section mismatches", and instructions to use "make
13 > CONFIG_DEBUG_SECTION_MISMATCH=y" to find details.
14 >
15 > All that being said, the compilation completes, and I can boot it. I
16 > don't know the cause, but I have been unable to get vmware-server
17 > running on it, and I'm going back to the previous kernel for that
18 > reason.
19 > << SNIP >>
22 You are not alone if having "issues" with this kernel. When I tried to
23 run it recently, I noticed a serious slow down in KDE, especially when
24 logging into KDE. My usual login time is about 7 to 8 seconds but with
25 this kernel, try about 30 seconds. My mouse was "jerky" and even
26 Seamonkey was very slow to switch tabs. Nothing changed but the
27 kernel. I didn't test to long because it was so annoying.
28
29 I used make oldconfig and my old kernel config as a starting point. Did
30 you happen to do the same? Maybe it should be done from scratch? Some
31 conflict or something?
32
33 Thoughts?
34