From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: ssh -X problem [no help sofar on ssh group]
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2014 23:29:50
1 Mark David Dumlao <madumlao@×××××.com> writes:
2
3 [...]
4
5 > I believe you're looking for the "xhost" command and its archaic
6 > permissions setup settings.
7 >
8 > The idea is that the machine hosting the X server has an additional
9 > permissions setting that controls which
10 > hosts are allowed to use the X displays.
11 >
12 > Since you say that it's apparently the debian host that doesn't allow
13 > launching of X programs,
14 > what happens if, from the working GUI on the debian host, you run:
15 > xhost +
16
17 I thought I had indicated it was the gentoo machine with the problem.
18 But I guess you could see it the other way round.
19
20 I'm getting myself a little confused here; this is what happens:
21
22 If I do: Gentoo ssh -X debian "xterm" it fails. The error message
23 changes with diffent options set but generally it cannot open a
24 display on localhost
25
26 Now the other way round:
27 debian ssh -X gentoo "xterm" works fine
28
29 > Before you try connecting to it from the gentoo machine? It should say
30 > something like
31 > access control disabled, clients can connect from any host
32 >
33 > And you should be able to open your xterm using ssh -X.
34
35 Doing `xhost +' on debian before ssh -x from gentoo does not help a
36 bit.
37
38 Apparently as others have indicated it is a long standing gentoo
39 problem.
40
41 But since -Y works... well I'm about ready to go on about my business
42 and ignore the failure of -X.