From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] About to attempt EFI install, which modules to compile?
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2015 09:07:04
1 On Thu, 26 Feb 2015 22:02:36 -0500, German wrote:
2
3 > Hi people. I am about to try today an EFI gentoo install with
4 > sysrecuecd. It is all more or less clear to me in the install docs,
5 > however I am not sure how to gather info about my hardware, which
6 > modules should be compiled when installing kernel manually. Is there a
7 > way to gather this info? What command should be issued to accomplish
8 > that? Also, I am sort of reluctant to compile kernel manually. Is this
9 > possible to use genkernel to install system in EFI mode or I must to
10 > use manual compilation? Thank you for your advice and suggestions.
11
12 There's a page on the Gentoo Wiki that covers EFI, but this is what I
13 have set
14
15 % zgrep EFI /proc/config.gz
16 CONFIG_EFI_PARTITION=y
17 CONFIG_EFI=y
18 CONFIG_EFI_STUB=y
19 # CONFIG_EFI_MIXED is not set
20 CONFIG_FB_EFI=y
21 CONFIG_DMI_SCAN_MACHINE_NON_EFI_FALLBACK=y
22 # EFI (Extensible Firmware Interface) Support
23 CONFIG_EFI_VARS=y
24 CONFIG_EFI_RUNTIME_WRAPPERS=y
25 CONFIG_EFIVAR_FS=y
26 # CONFIG_EARLY_PRINTK_EFI is not set
27
28 I don't think genkernel will help with EFI, but manual configuration is
29 no big deal. You could let genekernel generate a configuration to set as a
30 starting point. Really though, manual configuration is just a case of
31 following the handbook, just like any other part of setting up Gentoo.
35 Neil Bothwick
36
37 "Facts are stubborn things, but statistics are more pliable."
38 - Mark Twain