From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Integrated ZFS for Gentoo - WAS Re: [gentoo-user] Optional /usr merge in Gentoo
Date: Sun, 01 Sep 2013 21:19:58
1 On Sun, Sep 01, 2013 at 09:49:23AM +0200, Joerg Schilling wrote
2 > Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
3 >
4 > > You can get away with most stuff as modules; ***BUT NOT THE ROOT
5 > > FILESYSTEM***. Think about it for a minute. Gentoo reads modules off
6 > > the disk. If the code for the root filesystem is a module, Gentoo would
7 > > have to read the module off the disk to enable it to read the module off
8 > > the disk... OOPS. This is a classic "chicken and egg" situation.
9 >
10 > On Solaris no problem with loadable modules - everything is
11 > dynamically loaded. ***YOU NEED A GRUB THAT UNDERSTANDS ZFS AND THAT
12 > GIVES A ZFS INTERFACE TO THE KERNEL TO USE BEFORE ZFS WAS LOADED***.
13
14 So instead of needing ZFS built into the kernel, you need ZFS built
15 into GRUB... ***AND*** you need a ZFS module for the main system...
16 ***AND*** you need to keep both versions in sync. I'm not impressed.
19 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
20 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications