From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: HTML5 player (YouTube) is a pain!...Alternatives?
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2016 06:23:40
1 On Wednesday, November 30, 2016 07:08:45 AM Meino.Cramer@×××.de wrote:
2 > J. Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org> [16-11-30 06:48]:
3 > > On Wednesday, November 30, 2016 05:33:15 AM Meino.Cramer@×××.de wrote:
4 > > > Kai Krakow <hurikhan77@×××××.com> [16-11-30 05:08]:
5 > > > > Am Tue, 29 Nov 2016 07:42:16 +0100
6 > > > >
7 > > > > schrieb Meino.Cramer@×××.de:
8 > > > > > I get sick of this [CESNORED] HTML5 stuff coming from YouTube!
9 > > > > > Most of the videos while playayaingnaying arereare stututterutering
10 > > > > > liiklike helellell.
11 > > > > >
12 > > > > > I tested a lot of HTML5 addons to fix that problem and googled
13 > > > > > around the world but nothing helps. The only thing I found is an
14 > > > > > iconic sentence, which is true in this case also:
15 > > > > > "You are not alone...!".
16 > > > > >
17 > > > > > Is there any way to feed the stream from youtube direktly into
18 > > > > > a not blown player like mpv/mplayer or such (I would prefer
19 > > > > > not to load a complete gui (vlc) with any click again and again.)?
20 > > > >
21 > > > > For me it was just the other way around. HTML5 mode played much (very
22 > > > > much!) more smooth than flash player. I opted in early by that time
23 > > > > for
24 > > > > switching YT to HTML5 player. This was for Chrome, of course, because
25 > > > > by that time Firefox wasn't really compatible.
26 > > > >
27 > > > > You probably really should check your graphics stack. If you have an
28 > > > > at
29 > > > > least somewhat decent machine (something which was built during the
30 > > > > last 5 years), you should have absolutely no problems playing videos
31 > > > > in
32 > > > > the HTML5 player. Even my aging machine in the office (which didn't
33 > > > > play smooth videos in the flash player) runs full HD streaming videos
34 > > > > smoothly in the HTML5 player - no stuttering, no blocking, no
35 > > > > framedrops. This was different with the flash player which looked like
36 > > > > it dropped every second frame in fullscreen mode - but at least it did
37 > > > > not stutter due to that "optimization".
38 > > > >
39 > > > > Maybe give some information about your graphics stack and
40 > > > > configuration...
41 > > >
42 > > > Hi Kai,
43 > > >
44 > > > I think that the hardware is not the problem, since downloading the
45 > > > video and playing it offline had resulted in no problems ever...
46 > > >
47 > > > Cheers
48 > > > Meino
49 > >
50 > > Meino,
51 > >
52 > > In one of your other emails, you mentioned that your ADSL is incapable of
53 > > providing the full-HD stream.
54 > > This could easily be the cause for the issues you are having with HTML5
55 > > video as well. Maybe look into cache-options?
56 > >
57 > > --
58 > > Joost
59 >
60 > Joost,
61 >
62 > did this (~/.config/mpv/mpv.config) with no positive effect.
63 > I decreased the video resolution to <1280 (again via mpv.conf) which
64 > helps to some degree.
65 > Interesting is: It hangs always a the same points in the video if
66 > playing the same video with different configurations.
67 >
68 > I called mpv with an url form the commandline and indeed it shows
69 > "playing video" and "buffering" (at this point it hangs) alternateing.
70 >
71 > The FF problem was not only hangs but something like the following
72 > sentence:
73 >
74 > Thehe quiquickkckick bkrowownwn foxoxfoxx joxujumumpjumpsumps
75 > oveovrver thhehe lazazylazyzy dogog
76 >
77 > Somehow three steps forward and two backwards. The audio was never
78 > effected though.
79 >
80 > With "Play with mpv" it """"only"""" hangs.
81 >
82 > Do I really need an new DSL contract with my provider becayse
83 > FF has switched to HTML5 only?
84 >
85 > Can't be...or?
86
87 It depends. (seriously)
88
89 What you describe is what I get when I'm using my mobile connection with bad
90 reception. In other words, it does sound like a bandwidth issue.
91
92 Dave solves that by downloading the files and then watching it locally.
93
94 What kind of bandwidth (up and down) do you have? And what else is using that
95 connection while you are trying to watch a video?
96
97 I don't think it's HTML5 at fault, the same amount of data needs to be
98 transfered, but it might be that HTML5 is less bandwidth efficient than Flash.
99
100 I don't seem to have flash installed on my current machine and am using FF45.5.
101 In there, with Youtube, I do get the option to change the resolution on the
102 video-streams. Don't you get that?
105 Joost