From: maxim wexler <blissfix@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] usb mp3 player can't be mounted
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2007 02:01:19
1 Hi group,
2
3 I posted earlier on this subject but scored no hits.
4 I've been poking around on the Web for answers but so
5 far without luck.
6
7 When I plug the player into port and $dmesg, this
8 comes up:
9
10 <snip>
11 usb 1-2: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and
12 address 2
13 usb 1-2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
14 Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
15 scsi0 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
16 usb-storage: device found at 2
17 usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before
18 scanning
19 usbcore: registered new interface driver usb-storage
20 USB Mass Storage support registered.
21 scsi 0:0:0:0: Direct-Access USB FLASH DISK
22 V2.0 2120 PQ: 0 ANSI: 2
23 usb-storage: device scan complete
24 usbcore: registered new interface driver usbhid
25 drivers/usb/input/hid-core.c: v2.6:USB HID core driver
26 usb 1-2: USB disconnect, address 2
27 usb 1-2: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and
28 address 3
29 usb 1-2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
30 scsi1 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
31 usb-storage: device found at 3
32 usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before
33 scanning
34 scsi 1:0:0:0: Direct-Access USB FLASH DISK
35 V2.0 2120 PQ: 0 ANSI: 2
36 usb-storage: device scan complete
37
38 Why won't it assign a drive, like /dev/sda? It does on
39 another machine with virtually the same setup.
40
41 Nothing shows up in udevinfo, cat /proc/partitions.
42
43 but,
44
45 #lsusb
46 Bus 001 Device 003: ID 04e8:9826 Samsung Electronics
47 Co., Ltd
48
49 and
50
51 $cat /proc/bus/usb/devices
52 <snip>
53 S: Manufacturer=NewTech Inc
54 S: Product=USB Mass Storage Device 2.0
55 <snip>
56
57 I tried making the node manually(assuming /dev/sda)
58
59 #mknod /dev/sda b 8 0
60
61 but attempts to mount the device return "/dev/sda is
62 not a valid block device"
63
64 What am I missing?
65
66 Maxim
71 Expecting? Get great news right away with email Auto-Check.
72 Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.
73 http://advision.webevents.yahoo.com/mailbeta/newmail_tools.html
74 --
75 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list