From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Nvidia-drivers + kernel 3.4
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2012 08:07:15
1 On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 22:47:08 -0400
2 "Walter Dnes" <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
3
4 > On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 07:04:13AM -0700, walt wrote
5 >
6 > > I just did the same update. I thought at first everything was okay,
7 > > then I ran glxgears, which runs at 1/5 normal speed. Going back to
8 > > 295.59 fixed it. Very puzzling, since there was nothing unusual in
9 > > Xorg.0.log.
10 >
11 > What does glxgears prove anyways? With 295.59 I get 5300 fps, and
12 > 302.17 gives me 3 spf (yes... seconds per frame!!!). But Youtube, etc
13 > seems to function the same. So I'm wondering about the point of
14 > glxgears.
17 glx gears shows you that stuff works or not.
18
19 So it's a quick go-no go test, just not useful for measuring anything.
20 It's designed for the scenario where you want to judge relatively how
21 well things are working today video-wise. Now, you could run a 3D
22 rendering app, or play a video, or something like that and see how it
23 performs compared to the same thing yesterday. But those apps all do
24 many other things as well as drive the video card so you don't really
25 know what is influencing the mix.
26
27 With glxgears, all it does is drive the video and draw spinning gears,
28 nothing else. So if version X-1 yesterday worked fine and the video was
29 smooth, but version X today plays very jerkily, and nothing else
30 changed, then you know your system does not like version X.
31
32 It's a perfectly valid test, just don't trust the numbers - trust what
33 your eyes tell you.
38 Alan McKinnnon
39 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com