From: Daniel Troeder <daniel@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Normal disk speed?
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2010 09:34:03
1 On 10/07/2010 12:59 AM, Adam Carter wrote:
2 > WOW! Those differences are crazy!
5 > Please - I know benchmarking takes a lot of time - but could you check
6 > something: the behavior those fs have at what time they flush data from
7 > cache to disk is very different. Have you made sure that you measured
8 > the time it really needs? I mean the difference between:
9 >
10 > $ sync; time cp source dest
11 > and
12 > $ sync; time (cp source dest; sync)
13 >
14 > Only the last measures somewhat correctly.
17 > I had noticed that there was, say, 5 seconds of disk activity after the
18 > cp command complete which I assumed was buffers getting flushed, but 5
19 > seconds didnt seem that significant overall. I will run the tests as you
20 > suggest and post back. Do you think btrfs (with or without compression)
21 > would be faster than reiser? If so I will try that as well.
22 On my system it is twice as fast as reiser3 for _lots_ (200.000) of
23 small files with compression on (didn't test is without compression). I
24 didn't test if with big files.
25
26 But your results may vary anyway. For example btrfs is very
27 cpu-intensive (even more with compression). If you've got a slow cpu
28 (like in embedded devices), jfs might perform better.
29
30 BTW: _all_ my partitions are encrypted and on LVM, so your use case is
31 probably very different :)
32
33 Bye,
34 Daniel
37 PGP key @ http://pgpkeys.pca.dfn.de/pks/lookup?search=0xBB9D4887&op=get
38 # gpg --recv-keys --keyserver hkp://subkeys.pgp.net 0xBB9D4887