From: john <jdm@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] any one using ubuntu phones?
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2015 20:43:11
1 On Tue, 30 Jun 2015 00:44:23 +0430
2 behrouz khosravi <bz.khosravi@×××××.com> wrote:
6 > > If you build/install Android on a device, then it only contains what
7 > > you put there, and you can just as easily remove it. If you let
8 > > somebody else build/install android on a device and not give you
9 > > root access, then it is painful.
10 > >
11 > > If you build/install Gentoo on a device, then it only contains what
12 > > you put there, and you can just as easily remove it. If you let me
13 > > build/install Gentoo on your device and not give you root access,
14 > > then it is painful.
15 > >
16 > > If you let me reflash the firmware on your Gentoo system so that it
17 > > uses my UEFI keys and firmware update keys and doesn't let you
18 > > change them, and I set it up with a bootloader that checks your
19 > > kernel+initramfs signatures and decrypts the rest of your hard drive
20 > > using a TPM-supplied key and a verified boot path, and an initramfs
21 > > that checks the signature on your /usr and mounts everything else
22 > > noexec, then you're going to have some serious headaches. And yes,
23 > > you actually can do all of this with Gentoo, though almost nobody
24 > > bothers (ChromeOS is based on Gentoo and does use a variation on
25 > > this, with licensed devices having a switch to disable the signature
26 > > checks). I'd have to check but I think Linux actually supports
27 > > (maybe via a patch) signature verification on execing images, in
28 > > which case I can let you mount whatever you want +x and you still
29 > > won't be able to run your own stuff.
30 > >
31 > > Your problem isn't with Android the OS. Your problem is with the
32 > > experience your phone vendor is giving you. All that lockdown stuff
33 > > that you seem to hate is 100% supported by the Linux kernel - you're
34 > > just not turning it on with a typical distro install.
35 > >
36 > > >
37 > > >> FOSS developers seem to mostly be stuck in X11-land - it
38 > > >> scratches their itch which tends to be on the desktop. While
39 > > >> touch screen is "just another input device" the fact is that you
40 > > >> need to design your entire application UI around it. ...
41 > > >
42 > > > why do you thinks some foss user interfaces can not be created
43 > > > for this situation?
44 > > >
45 > >
46 > > I'm not saying that they cannot be created. I'm simply pointing out
47 > > that nobody is bothering to do so. Anybody can write a web-based
48 > > MUA comparable to Gmail or a web-based replacement to Google Docs,
49 > > and release it as FOSS. However, it takes a lot of work and for
50 > > various reasons most seem content to use an X11-based version of
51 > > each. In the case of LibreOffice I think the origins are actually
52 > > in software that was intended to be sold commercially, but failed
53 > > (which is probably why they've been trying to cleanup the code for
54 > > years).
55 > >
56 > > For a mobile OS your life is made even more difficult by Android,
57 > > since many who would tend to write a competing OS probably consider
58 > > it good enough.
59 > >
60 > > I'm really not interested in yet another android so much as more
61 > > open hardware to run android on. Vendors are getting better about
62 > > allowing unlocking, but driver support/etc is still a mess.
63 > >
64 > > Oh, and I don't like the general move of APIs into Google Play
65 > > Services. That really needs to be split into two applications. One
66 > > would provide APIs for stuff actually related to Google (like Google
67 > > authentication, buying stuff on the Play Store, Google Wallet, and
68 > > so on), and that could be closed. The other would provide all the
69 > > stuff like WebView APIs where rapid updates are desirable, and it
70 > > should be FOSS.
74 > I know what you mean. This is all more or less true, but what can we
75 > do in this situation?
76 > I will try to move toward whatever promotes openness, and please do
77 > not tell me that ubuntu
78 > is not more open that android. In android I cant even have pure native
79 > apps! some parts of an application
80 > should always be in java.
81
82 Jolla do a phone which is Linux based. No idea if this would suit your
83 needs but may be worth a look. It's GUI is good and it uses Wayland.
84 Not sure how open it is!
85
86 John D Maunder