From: Peter Pan <osaka@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] ARP-Caching of non-link-local adresses
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2012 16:19:13
1 Hi list,
5 I'm kind of despair.
6
7 The history: We recently brought up a new firewall with Gentoo.
8
9 There are (for my finding) some big nets behind this firewall (1x public
10 /24, 2x public /27, 1x public /26, at least 2 private /24).
11
12 Filtering is done via iptables and snort should jump as IPS on
13 software-bridge br0. If it helps: There is also ip rule involved for
14 source-based routing.
18 The new firewall replaces an older Gentoo-system which did not show this
19 behavior. We therefore copied several configfiles from the old to the new
20 one.
24 After getting it live, it runs well for a few hours and then becomes
25 unreachable (also for hosts behind the bridge).
26
27 Dmesg / kern.log stated at this time a neighbor table overflow and indeed,
28 arp -n | wc -l showed a lot of entry's.
32 As Google suggested, We then adjusted /proc/sys/net/ipv4/neigh/default/ to:
33
34 gc_thershold1 -> 8192
35
36 gc_thershold2 -> 16384
37
38 gc_thershold3 -> 32768
42 Fireing an "arp -d $bogus-ip-adress" is failing with "SIOCDARP(dontpub):
43 Network is unreachable", adding -i br0 doesn't fail, but does not remove the
44 line in the arp-table (it only says "incomplete" after greping arp -n
45 again)..
46
47 Therefore we are currently killing the arp-cache with "ip link set arp off
48 dev br0 && ip link set arp on dev br0" by a cronjob.
52 The combination of these workarounds are keeping the firewall reachable and
53 "alive".
57 After stabilizing, we looked at the output of arp -n and noticed, that about
58 99(.999)% of the roundabout 11.000 (and rising) arp-cache-entry's contained
59 public addresses for which the bridge of the firewall should not feel
60 responsible (e.g. the public Google-dns-resolver and a load of more).
61
62 The MAC-entry for these public addresses is always the one of our router,
63 which is for sure the correct next hop.
67 But from my understanding, it should arp-cache only "our" net's directly at
68 the cable and not those public ones.
69
70 It looks like a configuration-issue, but I don't know, where to start
71 looking. I've already checked the default-gateway, netmasks,
72 broadcast-addresses and to me, they are looking fine, so any poke where to
73 start looking is greatly appreciated.
77 In case it will help, I attached the /etc/conf.d/net, ifconfig -a and route
78 -n.
79
80 If something else is needed, feel free to ask.
84 Hope, anyone can help.
88 Thanks in advance,
89
90 Ralf