From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Encrypted drive setup at login and locking on logout.
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2020 09:46:27
1 William Kenworthy wrote:
4 > On 6/7/20 2:37 pm, Dale wrote:
5 >> William Kenworthy wrote:
6 >>> Hi Dale, I looked at Veracrypt and ran into the fact that it on windows
7 >>> Veracrypt MUST be installed by an administrator which is a blocker for
8 >>> using USB keys on computers I don't control (such as transporting files
9 >>> securely between locations - i.e., where there is potential to lose the
10 >>> usb key):
11 >>>
12 >>> see
13 >>> https://www.veracrypt.fr/en/Using%20VeraCrypt%20Without%20Administrator%20Privileges.html
14 >>>
15 >>> BillK
16 >>>
17 >>
18 >> Does that mean that on windoze a person can open a encryted USB stick
19 >> without a password?  From what I read, it sounds like it doesn't put
20 >> the stick at risk, as long as you are not using key files or sharing
21 >> your password by storing it somewhere.  It just means you have to be
22 >> admin to install Veracrypt but not to access a encrypted USB stick.
23 >> From the way it sounds, you insert USB stick, run Veracrypt, enter
24 >> password, do what you want with the stick, close it and then remove
25 >> the stick.  Or am I missing something?
26 >>
27 > It means that an administrator must install veracrypt first - if you
28 > cant do that, you cant access the stick.  It also makes the point that
29 > any adminstrator will have access to the sticks data - not just the
30 > user (same as root under Linux).  The blocker for me was that I could
31 > not get veracrypt installed.
34 Ah I see what you are saying now.  It's a privately owned laptop so that
35 won't be a issue.  She may even use a desktop system.
38 >> I might add, when I use cryptsetup and mount a external drive I use,
39 >> I do that as root.  Since my password is only in my head, no
40 >> password, no access root or not, right?
41 >>
42 > Maybe, maybe not ...
43 >
44 >> I'm new to this encrypted thing.  I'm learning but don't know all of
45 >> it and may never know all of it.  I figured out the other day that
46 >> when I select a two part or three part encryption, it actually
47 >> encrypts the thing twice or three times.  It's like having to pick
48 >> two or three locks on a door instead of one.  Only they have to be
49 >> done in order and you don't really have a way to know if you did it
50 >> right until you figure out the rest.  I bet that drives the NSA and
51 >> other Govts nuts.  lol
52 >>
53 >> By the way, the USB stick will have instructions about things after
54 >> I'm buried or whatever.  I plan to keep the USB stick in a safe and
55 >> share the password with the person that will be taking care of
56 >> things.  When I'm gone, they can open the USB stick to access files
57 >> on what to do and such.  Until I'm gone, they won't know what is on
58 >> the stick or have access to it.  Getting older makes one think about
59 >> these things.  :/  External drives will have things that when I'm
60 >> gone, they gone too.
61 >>
62 > Paper in a sealed envelope in a safe (bank safety deposit box etc) ...
63 > too many things to go wrong with an encrypted USB.
67 Don't have a bank safety deposit box and even if I get one, that will
68 cause issues when I kick the bucket.
71 >> I just wonder how many encryption tools have been cracked that we
72 >> don't know about.  It's not like they going to tell us or anything.
73 >>
74 >> Dale
75 >>
76 >> :-)  :-)
77 >
78 > Yep :)
79 >
80 > BillK
83 I'm just hoping the newer ones, after Snowden, don't have back doors
84 etc.  Now let us pray.  ;-)
85
86 Dale
87