From: "Jörg Schaible" <joerg.schaible@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: SMTP on Kmail-4.14.10 does not work without kde-apps/kwalletd-16.04.3-r1
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2017 00:05:04
1 Mick wrote:
2
3 > On Tuesday 06 Jun 2017 16:35:40 you wrote:
4 >> Hi All,
5 >>
6 >> I've updated a number of kde (plasma) packages, including kde-
7 >> frameworks/kwallet-5.34.0-r1. A depclean action wanted to remove
8 >> kde-apps/kwalletd-16.04.3-r1 and I let it do its tha'ng.
9 >>
10 >> Following a new login I discovered that *every* time I wanted to send a
11 >> message I was being asked for the SMTP password. For some users with 6
12 >> or
13 >> more email accounts this soon became tiresome. The pop up advises that
14 >> the password should be saved in kwallet and offers the choice to save it
15 >> in ...
16 >> the configuration file! It also advises that although it will be
17 >> obfuscated
18 >> it will not be safe in the configuration file. There are two buttons,
19 >> one to save the password in the configuration file and another to not
20 >> save it (at all).
21 >>
22 >> So to retain what sanity I may have left, I had to re-install kde-
23 >> apps/kwalletd-16.04.3-r1, which appears to be able to manage SMTP
24 >> passwords without asking each time the user.
25 >>
26 >> Have you noticed the same? Is there a fix or workaround for this?
27 >
28 > Just to clarify, there doesn't seem to be a problem with IMAP4 passwords,
29 > only with SMTP.
30 >
31 > When updating to kde-frameworks/kwallet-5.34.0-r1 I noticed this elog
32 > message, which implies I should no longer need the old kwalletd4:
33 >
34 > "LOG: postinst
35 > Starting with 5.34.0-r1, kwallet is able to serve applications
36 > that still require old kwalletd4. After migration has finished,
37 > kde-apps/kwalletd can be removed."
38 >
39 > So, do I have to wait for Kmail:4 to be updated to Kmail:5 before I give
40 > up on kwalletd4 despite the above message?
41
42 I had the same problem. But event if kwalletd is installed, it was no longer
43 started. After some time I remembered that I changed the password for my
44 mail account. However, that was after the "automated conversion" of the
45 wallet from kwallet 4 to 5. So, when I updated my credentials in KMail at
46 that time, the old wallet was updated. However, the latest update of kwallet
47 seems to take over the APIs of kwallet 4 and redirect them to kwallet 5
48 implementation. But that wallet still kept my old password of my mail
49 account that was valid at conversion time. All I had to do was to reenter my
50 new password in the KMail setup for this mail account.
51
52 Note, you should install knotify:4 if you want notifications about failed
53 mail delivery from KMail. That was removed for me in an dependency clean-up,
54 because I had no entry for it in world.
55
56 Cheers,
57 Jörg