From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] TPM feature - do I need it?
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2014 23:44:56
1 On Saturday 29 Nov 2014 20:23:51 Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Sat, Nov 29, 2014 at 2:53 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > I'm looking to buy a new PC and while looking at FM2+ MoBos I saw ASUS
4 > > offers
5 >
6 > > one with a TPM feature. It also sells it as a separate component it
7 seems:
8 > I can't get that page to load, but I can't imagine that you could find
9 > a motherboard that DIDN'T have a TPM that has been made anytime in the
10 > last decade.
11 >
12 > It doesn't tend to get a lot of use in the Linux world, though the
13 > Chromebook would be a BIG exception there. In the corporate windows
14 > world it gets very heavy use for full-disk encryption, and I think
15 > Win7 supports this out of the box (though big companies tend to use
16 > 3rd party software).
17 >
18 > Main uses for TPM include remote attestation, full-disk encryption
19 > (without the need to type a boot password), and secure credential
20 > storage only accessible via a trusted code path.
21 >
22 > The Linux kernel has support for TPM, but if you want to use many of
23 > the trusted boot features you need a bootloader that supports TPM.
24 >
25 > The main downside with TPM with something like Gentoo is that if you
26 > aren't careful you can make your keys inaccessible. I'd keep a copy
27 > of the keys somewhere safe if you plan to use it for something like
28 > full-disk encryption (and/or do regular backups). Otherwise if you
29 > incorrectly update grub you might find your drive completely
30 > inaccessible (if you're using a trusted boot path then you need to
31 > update the TPM when you update your boot path or the chip will no
32 > longer trust your grub/kernel/etc). The upside is that if you do it
33 > right you retain full control over the encryption and your system will
34 > be VERY hard to break into (without inside access - it is quite
35 > possible folks like the NSA have a backdoor, but you'll be very safe
36 > from more ordinary threats).
39 Thanks Rich, it seems not all modern MoBos have it. This doesn't:
40
41 http://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/A88XMA/specifications/
44 While this does:
45
46 http://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/A88XGAMER/specifications/
49 Besides the complexity of it all and the risk of errors, it's the remote
50 attestation part that worries me a bit. I mean this is not MSWindows, so the
51 only entity I would expect to attest what I'm running on my machine is me.
52 Well, fair enough, portage checks the hashes of the downloaded source files,
53 but I would not want anyone to remotely check anything on my PC.
54
55 If I enable this TPM thing, do I automatically open ports at pre/post-boot
56 time giving access to my machine? Or is remote attestation something I have a
57 say over?
58
59 Also, what happens if the TPM chip, or the whole MoBo blows up? Will I ever
60 be able to access my data using another PC?
63 Regards,
64 Mick