From: Tomas Papan <tomas.papan@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Choppy video playback
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 11:59:05
1 hello,
2
3 can you send us your /etc/make.conf ?
4
5 br
6 tomas
7
8 Mike Mazur wrote:
9 > Hi,
10 >
11 > I'm having choppy video playback in mplayer, vlc and also in Firefox
12 > on YouTube and the like. I notice a video freeze every 1-2 seconds or
13 > so, then the video snaps back to where it should be. The audio sounds
14 > fine. Mplayer often spits out a warning message[1].
15 >
16 > I also noticed that typing into forms (like an email in Gmail) in
17 > Firefox, after Firefox has been running a few hours also suffers from
18 > this freeze every 1-2 seconds.
19 >
20 > A typical workload is Gnome, Firefox, Claws-Mail, Pidgin, Tomboy,
21 > xmms2 and a bunch of terminals with SSH sessions and irssi.
22 >
23 > I have an Intel Core 2 Duo 2GHz with 2 GB of RAM, so this shouldn't be
24 > happening. I'm running kernel 2.6.23-gentoo-r3. I don't remember when
25 > exactly this started, I don't really watch video too often.
26 >
27 > Could it be the scheduler with which my kernel is compiled? Currently
28 > it's set to "Preemptible Kernel (Low-Latency Desktop)".
29 >
30 > Any ideas? What to start tweaking with?
31 >
32 > Thanks for any help,
33 > Mike
36 > [1] Mplayer warning message:
37 > ************************************************
38 > **** Your system is too SLOW to play this! ****
39 > ************************************************
40 >
41 > Possible reasons, problems, workarounds:
42 > - Most common: broken/buggy _audio_ driver
43 > - Try -ao sdl or use the OSS emulation of ALSA.
44 > - Experiment with different values for -autosync, 30 is a good start.
45 > - Slow video output
46 > - Try a different -vo driver (-vo help for a list) or try -framedrop!
47 > - Slow CPU
48 > - Don't try to play a big DVD/DivX on a slow CPU! Try some of the lavdopts,
49 > e.g. -vfm ffmpeg -lavdopts lowres=1:fast:skiploopfilter=all.
50 > - Broken file
51 > - Try various combinations of -nobps -ni -forceidx -mc 0.
52 > - Slow media (NFS/SMB mounts, DVD, VCD etc)
53 > - Try -cache 8192.
54 > - Are you using -cache to play a non-interleaved AVI file?
55 > - Try -nocache.
56 > Read DOCS/HTML/en/video.html for tuning/speedup tips.
57 > If none of this helps you, read DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports.html.
61 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list