From: Matthias Bethke <matthias@×××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Backup schemes involving Win XP stored to linux
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 17:12:01
1 Hi reader,
2 on Tuesday, 2006-07-25 at 00:03:45, you wrote:
3 > Three or more windows XP boxes that are devoted primarily to editing
4 > video or graphics in one way or another. The stuff needing backup can
5 > be in really big files but also lots of normal sized still images etc.
6 >
7 > I'm planning to use rsnapshot/rsync to back up the NTFS windows disks
8 > to a gentoo box with internal discs with the needed capacity.
9
10 If the copying is only for backup, you could use amanda and Samba for
11 the job. I've only done it with a single XP crate but it worked
12 flawlessly and has the advantage of allowing backups to devices smaller
13 than the backupee's disks, or even smaller than individual files, in
14 case they should be \LARGE.
15
16 cheers!
17 Matthias
18 --
19 I prefer encrypted and signed messages. KeyID: FAC37665
20 Fingerprint: 8C16 3F0A A6FC DF0D 19B0 8DEF 48D9 1700 FAC3 7665