From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Overlay for wickr
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2015 22:15:24
1 On Sun, Mar 15, 2015 at 6:03 PM, Emanuele Rusconi <emarsk@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > It's not open source, is it?
4 > Why do you want an ebuild to install a binary .deb file?
5
6 There aren't many of them, but there are ebuilds that install
7 proprietary binary files even in the main repository. One of the
8 advantages of Gentoo is that we actually can distribute ebuilds like
9 these without distributing the copyrighted binaries they are used to
10 install. Most other packaging systems put the files to be installed
11 in the same file as the metadata required to install them, which ends
12 up meaning that you can't distribute either.
13
14 That said, I have no idea if this particular program has been packaged
15 by anybody.
18 Rich