From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Graham Murray <graham@×××××××××××.uk>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: nouveau-drm compile failure
Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 14:30:06
1 On Thursday 20 May 2010 21:21:27 Graham Murray wrote:
2 > Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> writes:
3 > > There's an API break between the nouveau driver and the drm in 2.6.3[23]
4 > > (not completely sure about the versions)
5 > >
6 > > Hence the workaround of nouveau-drm
7 > >
8 > > Hopefully it will be *very* temporary
9 >
10 > It is. 2.6.34 (which is in ~arch) fixes the API break with the Nouveau
11 > driver.
12
13 That's good news.
14
15 The next question is the horrible one: does nouveau actually work* yet?
16
17 I had to switch back to nvidia proprietary as mouveau had every imaginable
18 feature I want (especially how to deal with two monitors in a sane way) and
19 the features functioned correctly, excep that the whole package did not work.
20
21 *work: By this I mean work to be synonymous with "perform at adequate speed".
22 500ms lag on getting a 2D desktop to do something is not defined as "perform"
23
24 The engineer in me says this is really just a matter of finding the correct 4
25 bits to flip in the right register at the right time, so I have high hope for
26 nouveau.
30 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com