From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Local mail delivery agent (MDA) wanted
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2021 13:25:37
1 Hey list,
2
3 I am looking for an as-simple-as-possible setup for local mail delivery.
4 What I mean by that is: the mail shall go into /var/spool/mail locally,
5 which is why I deem it overkill to set up and run a complicated smtpd
6 daemon with its own config file language.
7
8 At my previous employer we used mda on our Ubuntu-based machines, but this
9 is not available in Gentoo. It did extactly what I am looking for: receive
10 mail (most importantly from cron) via pipe and put it right into the spool
11 file, so I can see a message upon login and read it with mutt. That’s all
12 I need, so I can get summary reports of zfs snapshots, smartd messages and
13 so on.
14
15 I was looking through wiki articles, but they all employ the usual beasts
16 postfix, courier and so on. Do you have any recommendations?
17
18 Much obliged.
21 Grüße | Greetings | Qapla’
22 Please do not share anything from, with or about me on any social network.
23
24 If nothing works anymore, read the manual already.