From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Recommend a good replacement for XFCE?
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2016 14:54:07
1 On 2016-09-25, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Sun, 25 Sep 2016 14:02:18 +0000 (UTC), Grant Edwards wrote:
3 >
4 >> > I'm curious. What is it you are doing that needs desktops on separate
5 >> > X11 screens?
6 >>
7 >> I do software development that often involves fairly complex test
8 >> setups where I sometimes need 1 screen for source code, 1 screen for
9 >> documentation, 1 screen for various simulators or test programs, 1
10 >> screen for a web browser connected to the DUT, and another screen for
11 >> general web-browsing and email handling.
12 >>
13 >> And I find it very useful to be able to leave 2 of the screens as-is
14 >> while I switch the third one to do something else.
15 >
16 > I hadn't really thought of it like that, but being able to switch virtual
17 > desktops separately on each monitor sounds like a really useful feature.
18
19 It is. Once you get used to being able to do that, it's hard to give
20 it up.
23 Grant