From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: penetration testing
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2013 20:33:12
1 On 05/02/2013 20:57, James wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > Some time ago, Alan recommended a linux distro for penetration
5 > testing on networks that I manage. Sorry Alan, I lost
6 > the referral; google no find......
7
8 It was the first one in that list - BackTrack
9
10 I've heard good things about a few of the others and nothing bad about
11 any. So take your pick ;-)
12
13 backtrack is the well known granddaddy and poster child for pentest
14 distros, but I'm sure all of them will get the job done. It really comes
15 down to the list of useful apps they bundle for you.
19 > So from Google, I found a list of 10 linux distros, including Pentoo,
20 > for penetration testing. Rather than take the time to test each one,
21 > recommendations as to which ones anyone likes or uses, would save
22 > me quite some time...
23 >
24 > http://blog.rootcon.org/2012/02/10-pentesting-linux-distributions-you.html
27 > All feedback is appreciated, as I'm looking for a distro, I can run
28 > as a liveDVD, usbstick or such, when I need it and not dedicated
29 > a machine to this task.
32 > TIA,
33 > James
39 Alan McKinnon