From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] X Freezes With Firefox on Many Post 2.6.38 Kernels
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 20:32:31
1 Joost Roeleveld wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 27 July 2011 17:18:19 James Wall wrote:
3 >
4 >> On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 4:03 PM, Dale<rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> Here is a update. Let's see what folks think about this situation. I
7 >>> mentioned in another thread that I did a from scratch kernel. It was a
8 >>> .35 version. It seemed to work fine, for a while. When I tell
9 >>> Seamonkey to download to my desktop, it works fine. The minute I tell
10 >>> it to save it to my large 750Gb drive, I get a kernel panic. Keep in
11 >>> mind, there is nothing OS related on that drive. Nothing OS at all.
12 >>> It is videos, CD ISO's and such as that.
13 >>>
14 >>> Here is another thing I just found out. I did download a few videos I
15 >>> wanted to save. They were on my desktop and who likes desktop clutter.
16 >>> So, I dragged them over to the large data drive. I did this by
17 >>> dragging from the desktop to a open Konqueror window. This was not
18 >>> downloading or anything, just a straight move operation. It copied a
19 >>> few Mbs and panic. This had nothing to do with Seamonkey either.
20 >>>
21 >> This looks like a drive/cable issue, since it only occurs on the one
22 >> drive. If both drives are SATA, I would try swapping the cables to
23 >> rule out a bad cable. If the problem stays with the drive I would
24 >> first try a different SATA port to see if that clears up the issue.
25 >>
26 > I would also check that all the cables are plugged in properly and that there
27 > is nothing conductive (like metal) touching the drive where it really
28 > shouldn't.
29 > Maybe open the case, take the drive out and put it on a big sturdy cardboard
30 > box to avoid possible shorts.
33 I did check all the connections. I unplugged all the things drive
34 related, power and data, and everything looked fine. No dust, no
35 corrosion or anything that I could see. I did use a flashlight and a
36 magnifying glass to check. It could still be something I didn't see but
37 I looked.
40 >>> So, did this issue just move from a Seamonkey sort of problem to
41 >>> completely something else? Hmmmmm. After the crash, I boot to single
42 >>> user mode. I ran resierfsck --fix-fixable on the drive. Not one
43 >>> error.
44 >>>
45 > Did you do that on a mounted drive? I would first try a filesystem check before
46 > using that command.
50 I went to single user to run that. It didn't report fixing anything or
51 any other problems.
52
53 >>> I ran the smart thingy and not one error there either.
54 >>>
55 > Did you force the short and long tests to be run and waited for them to be
56 > finished? On a large drive, the long test can easily take several hours
57 > (without any indication of how far it actually is)
61 I did the long one. It ran while I took a nap. It does take a good
62 while to run. You nailed that one for sure. I just wonder how long a
63 3Tb drive would take. o_O I'm going to run it again tho. See if it
64 picks up on anything now.
67 >>> Thinking file system is bad in the kernel, well my /home directory is
68 >>> on reiserfs too. It is the one that works.
69 >>>
70 > If it were the reiserfs implementation, the issue would be more common.
74 That's what I think too. It's also not the only partition that I use
75 reiserfs on either. I would think they would all have some sort of
76 weirdness if it was that. Then again, things tend to pick on me a LOT. :/
79 >>> Now, what the heck is this about? Does this make sense to anyone?
80 >>>
81 > It does, there is something wrong with that drive.
82 >
83 > Another thing you could try is to plug that drive into a different machine (I
84 > believe you still have your old one?) and see if the same issue occurs there.
85 > Also, now would be a good time to have backups of the data on that drive :)
89 I may test that drive in my old rig. I have a SATA card in there.
90 Actually, it was originally in that rig. I did make backups of the
91 stuff I have room for. I just can't back up my video/audio files tho.
92
93 I'll post if anything changes or I get around to testing the drive in
94 the old rig. My garden and stuff sort of has me running. I picked
95 three 5 gallon buckets of okra yesterday. O_O
96
97 Dale
98