From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: WAS [.. min install isos] gentoo vm guest not booting
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 14:19:44
1 Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> writes:
2
3 > I'm very curious - did you happen to try appending something like
4 >
5 > init=/sbin/init 1
6 >
7 > to the boot kernel command and seeing what happens? That might be
8 > instructive about where it's really getting to or what is stopping it
9 > from proceeding.
10
11 Mark, I rm'ed all of it and created a new vm again. did all the
12 steps with /dev and the rest of normal install.
13
14 This time around the vm cannot find any media to boot from although I
15 created boot and all that with grub etc.
16
17 I even added the `init 1' line you suggested... but since the media is
18 not found when I try to boot into the vm... of course it does nothing.
19
20 So, enough time wasted.. I'm sorry to cave on you when you asked for a
21 result of the init 1 parameter....
22
23 I don't have any idea where to look for the problem of not finding the
24 media but probably some kind of pilot error.
25
26 I need to get some work done with a vm so going with debian.
27
28 Its working now... tarsnap server is ready to be setup for tarsnap.
29 Done it about 1/2 hour.
30
31 I really appreciate your kind patience.. and have kept the thread for
32 next time I get the urge to create a gentoo vm. Very good input and
33 it does not go to waste since I seem to end up trying a gentoo vm
34 guest every few mnths.
35
36 Thanks to Neil as well. Always appreciate the sharp eyed comments.