From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] A couple of problems with systemd
Date: Sat, 28 May 2022 07:09:32
1 On Fri, 27 May 2022 19:51:06 -0400, John Covici wrote:
2
3 > On Fri, 27 May 2022 17:49:24 -0400,
4 > Neil Bothwick wrote:
5 > >
6 > > [1 <text/plain; US-ASCII (quoted-printable)>]
7 > > On Fri, 27 May 2022 17:03:29 -0400, John Covici wrote:
8 > >
9 > > > I have one service which always times out, but slows down the boot
10 > > > process. It is
11 > > > /lib/systemd/system/systemd-networkd-wait-online.service. Because
12 > > > many jobs wait in queue for a while, till this fails.
13 > >
14 > > Are you using systemd-networkd or something else to manage your
15 > > network?
16 > > > Also, I have a couple of services, ntpdate and proftpd which always
17 > > > fail because when they try to execute named has not started yet. I
18 > > > can restart them once the system is fully booted and I can login.
19 > >
20 > > You can create a drop-in to require the service to start after named,
21 > > run "systemctl edit ntpdate.service" and add
22 > >
23 > > [Unit]
24 > > Requires=named.service
25 > > After=named.service
26 > >
27 > > That will create a drop-in file in
28 > > /etc/systemd/system/ntpdate.service.d containing your additions - you
29 > > can also create these files manually.
30 > Thanks. I am not using systemd-network or anything like that. I
31 > created a service called network and use the %i and links in
32 > /etc/systemd/system/multi-user-target.wants to start my two cards.
33 > Maybe this is not the normal way, but when I first started using
34 > systemd, this is the best I could come up with at the time.
35
36 If you are not starting systemd-networkd, network-online will fail. You
37 only need to create a file in /etc/systemd/network to configure your
38 card, something like
39
40 [Match]
41 Name=eth0
42
43 [Network]
44 Description=Wired network
45 DHCP=yes
46
47 Then start systemd-networkd.service.
51 > I will try the drop-in, I had kind of forgot about them.
59 Neil Bothwick
60
61 The cow is nothing but a machine that makes grass fit for us people to
62 eat.